Biking and walking educators spent two packed days at the Walk+Bike Retreat last month in Bend attending workshops and strategizing about our goals. The retreat was a fun and encouraging success. I am excited to share a recap of the one-year goals that emerged from the group working lunches. We have a lot of work to do in the next year!
Statewide educators discuss one year goals over lunch.
- Safe Routes Policy integrated into Oregon Active Transportation Summit agenda
- Safe Routes advocates trained in advocacy tool kits
- Keep funding at existing levels regardless of changes in source
- Get one or more health care partners to commitment ongoing funding of $500,000 annually
- New private industry partners
- Partner with CCO
- Draft communication plan
- Create Website taskforce
- Convene meeting between walk+ bike champions and state superintendent/governor to present platform to reach all students in state with bike and pedestrian safety education
Attendees also got the chance to hear presentations about biking and walking programs in addition to hands-on curriculum workshops.
And has there ever been an Oregon conference without a dance party? DJ bPollen, a.k.a. Brian Potwin, Safe Routes to School Educator with Commute Options in Bend, facilitated some serious networking at the Astro Lounge!
Thanks, everyone, for attending and being a part of our statewide Walk+Bike Network!
If you believe that every child in Oregon deserves to safety walk and or bike to school, contact email@example.com to join the Walk+Bike Network.