The holidays are coming, and so is the deadline to apply for the Walk+Bike Jump Start Education Program. Applications for the 2014-2015 school year are due by December 31, 2013, so apply now!
Jump Start is a great way to fill in that powerful Education piece of your Safe Routes to School Program.
- 8 hour training for teachers and community members on the BTA’s Safe Routes for Kids Curriculum.
- Materials for the community to keep and use for one school year, including 36 bikes of all sizes, 100 helmets, tools, use of a 20ft trailer.
- An education for your students that will last a lifetime!
What is required of the school district and the community?
This is your program so the more you put into it the better it will be, however, outlined below are the very basics.
1) The school district is willing to let students ride bikes on and off of campus during the school day. The BTA can provide a sample release form for the district to use.
2) The school district is willing to promote the training to all PE and health teachers and identify teachers to be trained.
3) A school district representative attends an initial planning meeting, replies to monthly email check ins, and attends an evaluation meeting at the end of the school year.
4) The school district signs an agreed upon MOU stating responsibilities (sample provided).
5) The school district or community provides a space for a one-day training for teachers and other community members in August or September.
6) The school district or community provides a staff person to create a schedule for moving the fleet of bikes and trailer from school to school for teachers to use and provide a vehicle and driver to move the trailer.
7) The community is willing to support the school district the program is implemented.
8) This program is provided free through a generous grant from Oregon Department of Transportation.
The BTA is able to offer the Jump Start program for free thanks to a generous grant from Oregon Department of Transportation. Apply now and read more about Jump Start like how did Jump Start begin and where is she now?