I saw daffodils on a walk yesterday, and we all know what that means! Daffodils are the precursor to tulips which bloom right before the roses which means that summer is on its way!
That means it is the perfect time to start thinking about how to spread the joy of walking and biking to school as the weather gets more and more beautiful. Let’s get on it!
Here are three ways to be inspired this season, and help inspire others:
1) This year the Walk+Bike Challenge has a new incentive ordering system (you have to sign up to get the “order now” link)! It is now easier than ever to get free stickers, temporary tattoos, and prize ribbons to help you encourage walking and biking to school.
The Fire Up Your Feet Challenge also has cash prizes to award to your school, so sign up for either event (or both) today!
Watch this video so Margaux and I can tell you what’s new with these free and easy programs! If you have not participated before, this is a great year to start. Everyone’s doing it!
2) The Oregon Safe Routes to School conference registration is up and running! Click here to see the agenda and to register. During the conference we will dig into all aspects of Safe Routes to School, how each “E” (Education, Encouragement, Evaluation, Enforcement, and Engineering) applies to Oregon and to your community, and also dig into:
- Visioning for Oregon Safe Routes to School
- Goal setting and Getting results
- Local issues and State issues
3) Saris Poster Contest deadline extended to March 14th: We’ve only received a small number of submissions, so the chances are good that your 5th grader could win a bike! The posters need to be mailed asap. Its easy: check out the official rules, help your 5th grader create their poster, and fill out a copy of the permission slip. Then send their poster and permission slip to:
Bicycle Transportation Alliance
attn: LeeAnne Fergason
618 NW Glisan St, Suite 401
Portland, OR 97209